Sunday, June 28, 2015

Oh Hey, Friday - My Summer Has Begun

Messy Messy Fail - Hardly any strawberries at patch number one.  Apparently it's been too rainy and not hot enough yet.  

Tidy Victory - Second patch was much better, but they opened two weekends ago.  The berries had been picked over but we still got what we needed.  



And now that summer has begun, I need to come up with a plan, some goals.  For myself and for the house.  Lots to do.  But that's for another post.

In the meantime, a few interesting things that have occurred now that my summer has begun.

<One> Strawberries - In Western New York, the beginning to middle of June is strawberry season.  Some excellent girlfriends and I always get together for a date of picking and time together chatting it up in the strawberry fields.  Better yet, strawberry picking is soooooooo inexpensive when you do the work yourself.  It took a few hours, but I was able to pick 6 quarts.  Planning on making a lot of freezer jam next week (my first full week of summer vacation woo hop!)



<Two> This Thing - I'm not sure who designed or created this item, but my mind is blown.  Our good friend Aunt Nini brought two of these to me at school, and I had finally had the opportunity to use it at my high school's graduation at Chautauqua Institution.  I have never seen the toddler keep so clean while eating an ice cream cone.  #Mindblown.



<Three> Graduation - It was a tradition for our high school to have their graduation ceremony at the beautiful Chautauqua Institution for many years when the location was changed to a local venue in town.  It never worked like it did at Chautauqua.  Thank goodness it has been moved back!  The atmosphere, history and beauty of the institute just makes for a marvelous ceremony.



<Four> Rain - I don't think we have gone a day without rain in the last week.  One bitter cold winter followed by a wet spring and summer makes for a not-so-good start to summer.  But the rain HAS to stop at sometime, doesn't it?  I continue to blame my lack of planting on the weather.  

<Five> Fourth of July - I LOVE going to see our local parades (as mentioned in this post) and fireworks on the 4th of July.  Luckily, my husband will be able to spend the holiday with us along with some friends to celebrate the holiday (he's usually working at the Chautauqua opera house that night).  I'm trying to come up with a non-pointy streamer craft to make with or without the toddler to use instead of a pointy American flag at the parade.  We'll see how that turns out, you know how crafty I am.  Stay tuned.

What plans are you making for the 4th of July?  







Linking up with....






Polka-Dotty Place