Friday, February 13, 2015

Oh hey, Friday! - What To Do On a Snow Day

Messy Messy Fail - Puzzle pieces, puzzle pieces, puzzle pieces EVERYWHERE!  The toddler really enjoys putting puzzles together, however, he doesn't always put them back.  Gotta come up with a way to organize the 987234987234 puzzles we have!

Tidy Victory - I just realized last night that I have managed to keep the spice cabinet ORGANIZED from when I originally cleaned it out a few weeks back.  Holy cow!



On our local news, it was reported that we should expect negative digit readings for our temperature this morning, with even lower readings for the wind chill.  Schools starting closing last night even.  Our district will often close due to extremely low temperature because so many of our students walk.

"The Call" usually comes in the morning around 5:30 AM, and when I hadn't heard the phone ring at 5:50 I was ready to get up and start preparing for our cold journey to daycare and work when "The Call" came - snow day!  Most of the districts around us (except my poor husband's, sorry dear!) ended up closing due to the low temps and wind chill, although it did not get quite as cold as expected.  So what did I do?  Well duh, I went back to sleep!

What should I do on my unexpected day off?  Here is a list of 5 things that you should try if you are ever so fortunate!

<One> Baracade yourself in the house - why should you leave when it's this cold out?  I HIGHLY recommend this one especially if the weather is truly nasty.  They cancel school for a reason, so follow suit and stay inside.

<Two> Bundle the kids up and take them to daycare anyways - only if it's safe temperature and weather wise.  We are fortunate enough to have a daycare provider just a few minutes away who still takes the kids even on a snow day.  Most importantly, since tomorrow is Valentine's day, the toddler had his valentines ready to go, so I wanted him to go and hand them out to his friends.

<Three> Go to work anyways - although we suspected we may not have school today, I did not have the forethought to bring home some things I needed to work on over our winter break next week.  So there I was, only truck in the parking lot save a few other people who just couldn't stay away, collecting the oboe parts from the full orchestra pieces to transpose at home.

<Four> Go shopping - as in go to Joanne's looking for some fun musical fabric to purchase for the orchestra's display case in the front hall of the high school and end up buying fairy garden items because they are 40% off plus another 20% with coupon!  Just because there is a couple feet of snow on the ground doesn't mean you can't plan your new fairy garden for the summer!

<Five> Make plans for the weekend - meet fun co-workers out for a chick dinner and movie - CHECK, washing baklavas, I mean baccarats, I mean BALACLAVAS for our Valentine's day snowmobile adventure tomorrow - CHECK.

Sometimes it's just so nice to have an unexpected change of plans, so when it happens take advantage of your opportunity and ENJOY IT!

Stay warm everyone, Happy Valentine's Day AND Presidents' Day!



THE GOOD LIFE BLOGKatie